Thinking about Starting a Business ?
People start their own businesses for a variety of reasons: for some it’s because it’s always been their dream to own their own business; for others it’s because an opportunity has presented itself; some may have to start a business out of necessity. No matter the reason you’re starting a business, you need to ask yourself these questions as you prepare to get started:
- What are the necessary skills needed to run a business? Do I have those skills already or do I need to work on developing those skills?
- How much it is going to cost to start my business? How much of my own money do I have to invest?
- Are there local, state or federal permits, licenses, rules and/or regulations that apply to my business?
- Will people want what I have to offer? Who are these people and how will I reach them?
- Will I be able to sell myself and what I have to offer?
You need to seriously consider your experience, knowledge, skills, and talents, the financial commitment you are willing and able to make, and how much time you can commit to the business. Owning a business is not for everyone!
There are many more questions to ask yourself…and it’s extremely important to ask for help! We’ve provided some helpful articles below, as well as information about SBDC assistance.
Read These Articles:
“Many businesses say they target ‘anyone interested in my services.’ Some say they target small-business owners, homeowners, or stay-at-home moms. All of these targets are too general.” Read more: How to Define Your Target Market – Inc.com
Seek SBDC Assistance:
Check out our SBDC Mobile App.
If you are considering your own business it makes sense to attend the SBDC’s The First Step: Starting Your Business Workshop and learn what it takes to start and operate a small business in Pennsylvania. You may also be interested in the Pennsylvania SBDC’s First Step Webinar Series.
After attending a First Step, sign up for a confidential one-on-one consulting with your local SBDC consultant at no cost to put your ideas in to action!
Please note: Due to our holiday schedule, all new requests for consulting will be handled on a first come, first served basis starting on January 2. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to working with you in 2018!